[ZDP] Re: How should authors and readers work together ?

Jerry Spicklemire jerry@spicklemire.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 10:53:56 -0500

Hi Maik,

At 01:24 PM 5/25/00 +0200, you wrote:

>We have recently changed the ZDP-site, so you can add comments to
>everything. Someone has to work on sending these comments directly
>to the Maintainers/Authors.

Exactly, which is where integration with CVS comes, to make this simpler,
by allowing searches by date, and shows "diffs" between the new proposed
version, and the current version.

>The portals with their subjects and topics allow comments, links and
>drafts to be added by anonymous.
>
>I don't know whether it is a good idea to allow anonymous to change the
>texts on the ZDP site.

Until the Wikis stuff landed at DC, I would have sworn this was a bad idea.
Now, it looks like the best thing to ever happen to Zope, after Python.
The glaring shortcoming of Wiki is the lack of tracking. There's no way
of enforcing timestamping, to see what's changed. The ZCVS piece can
help with that.

>As a first step, I think it would be great if we could achieve the
>goal of getting authors and readers together inside the community
>portals, where they share interest in a subject and topic. The readers
>provide some links, comments and maybe even drafts, and the ZDP members
>take them and integrate them in their documentation.
>
>Greetings,
>
>Maik Röder

I think this will have to evolve. One side effect of Wiki is that there's
very
little notion of ownership. A Wiki belongs to anyone who stops by, and
everyone, at the same time. If I have to negotiate, comment, discuss,
draft, etc. the barrier to participation is perhaps higher than optimal.

Thanks for your consideration,
Jerry S.