[ZDP] Spearheading the Zope Documentation

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Sat, 27 May 2000 01:33:05 +0200

Hi Eron !

Eron Lloyd wrote:
> 1.) It seems like many wheels are spinning in the mud. Many great ideas,
> offers, and comments have been made, but not too many have gotten past
> the mailing list. I understand that a lot of this is because of the
> voluntary group effort nature of the project, but let us remember how
> many successful SOFTWARE projects have grown coming from the same
> background.

We have a Task folder for the ZDP-Tools, and some of the tasks are
already completed. At least this is something that really works.

> 2.) We need more coordination. The new ZDP portal is swell, but nothing
> beats solid leadership for a project of this size. Someone who will
> direct the flow of energy, and always keep things on track.

Every volunteer gets a chance in the project. For example jiva has just
contributed an enhancement of the search engine. We are on track, and
we are listening to the people. We need more people who tell us what
is wrong with the current setup, so we can get better.

> 3.) We need a solid vision. What are we trying to achieve? Maybe too
> much? Maybe the wrong things?

We only need to think of how it should be in a perfect world. Zope
Documentation should be perfect, and help each community of users
to do what they want to do with Zope.

> 4.) We need a permanent contact with someone doing docs at DC. There
> seems to be some miscommunication. What ever happened to Pam?

Right now mindlace is the one we can talk to.

> 5.) Soon, I believe, we shall see a few Zope-related books popping up.
> DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY THIS. With the state of flux Zope is currently
> in, much of the stuff will (probably) be outdated by the time it hits
> mainstream.

We will only be encouraged !

> 6.) Zope has TONS of good content floating around in the different
> mailing-list archives, How-tos, etc. Much of this is still relevant, and
> only needs to be updated (a lot of the tag examples still use SSI
> format, but then again, so does zope.org), and then snapped into the
> main text.

The only chance I see is to get a clear picture of what is existing.
For me it really works to start building my knowledge by going
to the ZDP-site, choosing a Portal, creating a Subject and Topic,
and explain all I know about the Topic. Then I will do some searches,
find interesting stuff, and integrate it in the Portal. This way
people who come after me will be able to find the good stuff easier,
and will be using the Portal as a starting point. We only need a
critical mass of people filling in the content. Once this is done,
and it changes dynamically, it will be a joy to keep track of
the portals, which will then look much like Slashdot, and people
will only see what cool stuff has been added.

> 7.) This is Zope's weakest point, and there is nothing the Zope
> community could contribute more to the growth of our beloved system is
> GOOD, COMPLETE documentation.

First we need to know what is there, and where it is ! Many people
simply don't know what great pieces of documentation exists, and
by showing it to people, it may become clearer where it may lack.

> 8.) I can go on and on, but I will stop here. All will say is that I
> plan to write my a$$ off this summer, and come up with something that
> will generate "ooh"s and "ahhh"s from the crowd.

Your enthusiasm is nice to see, and I would like to see you start filling
in all the Subjects and Topics with short abstracts telling people
what the Subject and Topic is about, and where they can find information
on it. This can be your starting point for further exploration and
writing, because you will then know where the existing stuff lacks.

> It can be done. Attitude is everything. Let's stop talking and start
> filling up the ZBook.

I think we should not focus on ZBook. We should fill in the Portals
first, and when we have collected too much there on a certain Topic,
then all the deeper information can be formulated in a nice ZBook
chapter.

> P.S. - good job with everything so far - your work has helped greatly.
> We can only hope to continue what has already be contributed.

I think it is really easy to write short intros on the Topics.
That does not mean you have to write whole chapters at first, and
it can be done fast. Fill in some links, and maybe then start
writing. That's my vision for the ZDP-site.

Greetings,

Maik Röder

--
Open Source is "about being able to work together with people you've
never  met, on projects that  are in  a constant state  of flux,  on