[ZDP] Zope Documentation and the various Sites

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 12:58:08 +0100

Hi,

The Zope Documentation issue and how it relates to the new Zope sites
that are coming along at zope.org, zope.net and zope.com has been
bugging me so I tried to do a brain dump into a wiki:

http://www.zope.org/Members/chrisw/ZopeSites/FrontPage

The main problem that I haven't mentioned there is that all the players
in this game are not communicating. The issue I see with Zope
documentation is not that the information isn't there, it is, it's just
sprayed around 2 or 3 different sites in hundreds of different,
unindexed and hard to find pages, in various wikis and at worst in
python docstrings in the source (that last one is tragic...)
Not to mention the thousands of mailing list messages and collector
postings (and the other couple of trackers) that have incredibly
valuable information in them that never gets read.

This is why I feel the documentation is verymuch tied to the Zope sites
and how they are structured and why I did the above wiki. If the
documentation is available in _one_ coherent, structured and fully
searchable (I'm not yet convinced that ZCatalog will cut it...) place,
then the problem will go away.

I'm hoping this Wiki can be used to sort out how to structure the sites
and the documentation so that we can nail this ugly problem once and for
all. If it doesn't work, maybe we all need to get together on IRC and
hammer this out there?

This will only work if we ALL take part...

cheers,

Chris

PS: I feel like I've just stuck my head above a parapet but this problem
is so frustrating I couldn't leave it be. If we can crack it, then Zope
could easily go supernova ;-)