[ZDP] Zbook: New ZCL update proposal

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Tue, 30 May 2000 10:44:49 +0530

Hi all:

I read more of the ZBook yesterday - some general comments:

1. There doesn't seem to be a good flow in the ZBook as a whole. Ideas and
    concepts that haven't been introduced are referred to in chapters. And
    some concepts already explained are repeated.

2. The first two parts seem to focus more on 'selling' zope and justifying some
    zope philosophies. I don't think that is required. The focus should be on
    introducing the concepts one by one (building up on previous ones or
    external knowledge). After each chapter the reader should feel he
    has 'learned' something useful. All the hype should be removed.

I propose an addition to the way the ZBook contents outline is written. The
goals for each chapter and each part should be very well defined. For each
chapter, the following should be clearly written down:
1. "This chapter is meant to be read by TA"
2. "We assume the TA
        a. has some idea about A, B, C
        b. has good knowledge about X, Y, Z
        c. may have knowledge about K, L, M"
3. "The goals of this chapter are to
       a.Introduce D, E, F
       b.Explain in detail G, H, I
     to the TA."

TA: Could be 'anyone starting off with zope' for the initial chapters and
'website developer', 'aspiring product developer', etc or any combination of
these for the later chapters.

A,B,C...X,Y,Z: Are concepts that would range from 'how the web works' to
'acquisition' and 'ZODB' etc.

Once this is done, veryfying that the book as a whole is fine is a two step
process:
1. Looking at the outline goals/assumptions for each chapter and verifying that
    the flow is fine.
2. For each chapter verifying that the contents match with the respective
    assumptions and goals.

Frankly, the ZBook didn't look like I would have expected it to. It is quite
possible I have a different idea of the goals of ZBook and the intended target
audience than what they really are. Again a reason to write down goals and
assumptions about the audience.

Thanks,
Shalabh