[ZDP] Zbook chapter on Zope objects

Kamon Ayeva kamon@ecubateur.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 19:49:21 +0200

Hi Tom,

Thinking further, I finally changed my mind. The 'Zen, Architecture and
Power of Zope' part of the book should present a high level view of Zope so
we should not talk about Zope objects internals there.

But I propose a re-work on your following drafts and if people have
comments/additions. See below.

*Zen, Architecture and Power of Zope / Object Publishing*
(Starting from Tom's existing draft with some changes)

Zope is an Object Publishing environment.
In most web development platforms, a web application consists of the
integration of static HTML pages and CGI scripts. In Zope, the web
application is built with objects supporting scripting, management, and a
fine-grained powerfull security protocol . These objects have content and
behavior, and can interract with each other using various defined protocols.
A Zope object is dynamic, meaning that its behavior and content depend on
the context in which it is placed. In addition, Zope provides a simple
mechanism for allowing the hierarchy of an object to be traversed through a
URL. As an example, instead of serving a page from a database by means of a
URL containing a query such as "?sid=name&this=that", Zope permits a URL
like "base/name/this/render.htm" or even "base/name/this/", with no visible
query, to serve results from a database. Thus database access can be made
wholly transparent to the end user, and your data can become an integral
part of your web pages.

*Zen, Architecture and Power of Zope / Core Zope Objects*
(Changing the title from 'Zen of Objects')

[I have nothing ready for this part, but I would also start from your draft.
BTW, what are the core Zope objects: DTML document, DTML method, Folder ?
Are there others ? images, ...]

Cheers,
Kamon