[ZDP] ZAG license

Will Dennis willd@p-wave.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:25:52 -0400

Hello all,

Per Amos' suggestion, let's try to agree on a license for the ZAG. After
review of the two license types suggested by Amos on the project pages
at zope.org
(http://www.zope.org/DocProjects/AdminGuide/Project/LicenseDoc), I am in
favor of the GNU Free Documentation License. It is a very comprehensive
license that preserves the right to freely distribute and alter, but yet
remain a viable license to commercial publishers, which may be a
relavant point in this case. From the "Why you should use the GNU FDL"
document at  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html:

" The GFDL is meant as a way to enlist commercial publishers in funding
free documentation without surrendering any vital liberty.  The 'cover
text' feature, and certain other aspects of the license that deal with
covers, title page, history, and endorsements, are included to make the
license appealing to commercial publishers for books whose authors are
paid.  To improve the appeal, I consulted specifically with staff of
publishing companies, as well as lawyers, free documentation writers,
and the community at large, in writing the GFDL."

Nothing specific against the Opencontent.org's Open Publication License,
but it seems to me after reading both, that the GFDL is the better of
the two.

Let the discussion begin...

Regards,

Will Dennis