[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Zope

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:43:04 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/UsingZope.stx#2-94

---------------

    If you start the tutorial and want to stop using it before you have
    completed all the lessons, you can later return to the tutorial. Just
    go to the help system and find the lesson you'd like to continue with
    by browsing the *Zope Tutorial* help folder. There is no need to
    re-install the tutorial.

      % Anonymous User - May 19, 2002 1:44 pm:
       This is driving me F&*King NUTS! So I go to the tutorial/examples folder (there's nothing in tutorial except
       examples). It shows me a window with what appears to be the code for the intro... it says "click on the
       button below". All I see is Save Changes, Taller, Shorter, Narrower, Wider and Upload File. I clicked on Save
       Changes, nothing happened. The 4 size buttons just resized the window. Finally I clicked on upload file and
       the text disappeared. Unbelievable. So in the previous section I learned about Undo... except there's no
       F&*King UNDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      % Anonymous User - May 23, 2002 6:10 am:
       Keep your head cool. and don't mess up this book with screaming.
       Try IIS or something, Zope's probably not for you, or go to bed, lots of people
       don't get the picture anymore when it's 1:44pm, that's quite normal.

      % Anonymous User - May 23, 2002 6:20 am:
       Also,
       In addition to my answer, I want to say, if you're asking for help and like to
       have an answer, do not irritate people, and try to read again and stop when you
       understood the things explained.
       Anyway, you can start the tutorial from the 'help!' link in the root folder level.

       Greetings Blurg

      % Anonymous User - June 20, 2002 4:09 pm:
       It is easy to boot the tutorial.

       1) Go to Tutorial:examples from within the management interface
       2) Click the View tab.  You will see a welcome page with a "Begin Tutorial" button.
       3) Click the "Begin Tutorial" button. A help page will pop up from which you can proceed with the tutorial. Links
       in that help page pull tutorial content into the page you just came from.

      % RhoXS - Aug. 18, 2002 9:32 am:
       The crux of many of our problems is that we don't have have these examples installed. How do we get them?

       Tx, Rho

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 19, 2002 12:32 am:
       In the management interface, left hand pane, click 'Root Folder'. Now in the right hand pane select, from the
       'Select type to add' dropdown, 'Zope Tutorial'. The tutorials will now install. Go back to 'Help' and you can
       now run through the tutorials.

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 28, 2002 3:56 pm:
       I just plain can't get this to work. Is it because I'm using a free zope server (nipltd.net)? I get the same
       problem that many others are having. I can install the tutorial and read the tutorial launch page. It
       launches the help system, but every time I click on a lesson it says it can't find the tutorial:
       "
       Lesson 1. "Elvis Lives" Home Page

       Zope cannot find the tutorial examples. You should install the tutorial examples before continuing. Choose
       "Zope Tutorial" from the product add list in the Zope management screen to install the examples.
       If you have already installed the tutorial, you can either follow along manually, or reinstall the tutorial
       examples. Note: make sure that you have cookies turned on in your browser.
       "
       I've deleted and reinstalled this and still the same. I think it's because the tutorial in my case is
       installed into something other than the root folder. Somehow the tutorial is looking for things in the root
       folder and doesn't know where it is installed. This is a show stopping-error which seems really silly.

      % Anonymous User - Oct. 23, 2002 6:43 pm:
       You can re-install the Zope Tutorial Product until doomsday...and the Help Instructions will not link to
       it...you can navigate manually to the Examples to do them, but the Help system is typically flawed...this is
       one of the mysteries of Zope that the Zope upper elite like to dis Newbies with, to make them feel
       incompetent and to inexplicably give Open Source support a bad name.