[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Basic Zope Objects

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:59:06 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/BasicObject.stx#2-51

---------------

    In traditional programming lingo, a *script* is a short piece of code
    written in a programming language.  As of version 2.3, Zope now comes
    with two kinds of script objects: one that lets you write scripts in
    "Python":http://www.python.org and one that lets you write scripts in
    "Perl":http://www.perl.org/.

      % Anonymous User - May 28, 2002 7:32 pm:
       Any plans for PHP?

      % Anonymous User - May 28, 2002 7:52 pm:
       No plans from the publisher (Zope Corp) as of now, but several community members have made products which
       allow you to manage your PHP scripts in Zope:
         http://www.zope.org/Members/mjablonski/PHParser

         http://www.zope.org/Members/Mamey/PHP http://www.zope.org/Members/Ioan/PHPObject

      % Anonymous User - July 25, 2002 6:44 pm:
       I would like to see an extension to this section which shows how one uses Perl scripts from within Zope. I am
       a <I>newbie</I> so forgive me if I missed something obvious. From my perspective, as an individual who has
       started learning Zope, it appears as though Perl scripting ability needs to be added as a product in addition
       to the default installation. This may only be a caveat associated with NT as I have not yet tried a Unix
       based installation. In either case I feel it would be helpful to point out any issues or potential
       misunderstandings regarding this. As an out of band comment, I would like to say that this document seems to
       switch styles between aiming at "I've never used a computer before" users and "I'm already knee deep in this
       realm, just give me the buzzwords and the pointers" users.

      % Anonymous User - Sep. 9, 2002 10:59 am:
       I'd like to side with the "out of band comment" above, and suggest that the document focus on the "I've never
       used Zope or any other Content Management System" users.