[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Basic Zope Objects

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:45:55 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/BasicObject.stx#2-31

---------------

    Zope lets you edit documents directly in your web browser,
    though this is not the only way documents can be edited in
    Zope.  For simple documents, editing through the web is a
    handy method.  But for large, complex documents, or
    documents that have special formatting, it's useful to be
    able to use the editor you are most used to.

      % Anonymous User - July 2, 2002 1:15 am:
       this is what i wanted to now about uploadind from an ftp or golive 6.0. Its taken some time to find some
       thing this simple.

      % Anonymous User - July 2, 2002 8:49 am:
       If you're not patient enough to read one and a half chapters of an intro book, Zope is likely not for you.

      % Anonymous User - July 3, 2002 11:18 am:
       I would agree, although I enjoy reading Zope manual, it is a bit stretched and not always to the prime facts
       that a lot of people starting to use Zope look for. For those it gets too frustrating before they finish
       reading first two-three chapters and find out what it actually is.

      % Anonymous User - July 3, 2002 12:52 pm:
       Specific advice on how to make it better would be helpful.

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 10, 2002 2:22 pm:
       Is there a way to edit script files and other non-dtml object types through ftp?
       I can open any file using emacs/ftp, edit it, and save it. But any file I save
       gets turned into a DTML document, even if it was created in the Zope management
       interface as something else. For my particular application of zope, I have more
       python scripts than DTML documents, and it would be very nice to be able to edit
       the scripts with emacs.

       On a related note, is there a way to change one object type to another through
       the management interface? I would like to turn the scripts I buggered saving thru ftp back into scripts.

      % hansa - Sep. 20, 2002 3:49 pm:
       After (on Windows, ok) i realized CTRL-C, CTRL-V, CTRL-X for browser text areas, my life got a lot easier. On
       mass edits, still had a lot to paste.

      % mcdonc - Sep. 21, 2002 6:45 pm:
       Casey Duncan's "External Editor" product would help you a lot.  Search for it on Zope.org.