[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Introducing Zope

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:59:06 -0500

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/IntroducingZope.stx#2-17

---------------

    While this has advantages, it also has disadvantages.  Different
    kinds of tools and expertise must be used to work with the different
    components.  All the different components may need to have their own
    kind of security and maintenance concerns.  Many of these kinds of
    tools are not manageable from a web browser or from simple command
    line or GUI tools like FTP.

      % Anonymous User - June 13, 2002 2:46 pm:
       I think FTP is a communication protocol and not a tool, especially GUI. Unless you mean WinFTP32 or other GUI
       ftp clients. However most of the ones I work with are command line-based.

      % Anonymous User - June 17, 2002 6:07 am:
       File Transfer Protocol (FTP) strictly interpreted, is not a tool. However, many tools have been developed to
       simplify the process. Dreamweaver has an in-built FTP tool, as does FrontPage and more traditionally, WS_FTP.
       The majority of web designers and developers eschew the command line method in favour of these 'tools'

      % Anonymous User - July 1, 2002 10:34 pm:
       I think he might mean the Unix command line "ftp" program.

      % Anonymous User - July 12, 2002 1:01 am:
       a) the unix utility ftp doesn't have a gui
       b) how can you say "command line or gui tools like" - and then only provide one example? doesn't the
       pluralisation (if that's a word) require multiple examples?

      % Anonymous User - July 12, 2002 1:05 am:
       I am unconvinced that this "disadvantage" is valid. In my experience, you quite offen have different people,
       with different skillsets familiar with different tools responsible for content, interface, application logic,
       and database administration. Making them all learn a tool can not be considered beneficial.

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 6, 2002 5:23 pm:
       quit cutting the hairs people

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 9, 2002 9:36 pm:
       The expression is "splitting" hairs.

      % Anonymous User - Sep. 3, 2002 7:39 am:
       the last one is funny!

      % Anonymous User - Nov. 21, 2002 8:14 pm:
       Understanding that this is extrememly hypocritical...
       I can't believe how many people are using these comments simply to point out such minor technicalities in the
       document. Who cares if FTP, the protocol, isn't a tool. The functionality that that protocol provides is
       probably well known by anyone who is reading this, and when used properly can be very affective for
       completing a number of tasks. So in that since, anything that can be used to improve convenience can be
       considered a tool.
       Quit wasting time cluttering this document with useless comments and just read the material, keeping in mind
       that the person who wrote it, did it as a favor to those who want to use their product, which is free, and
       probably no one here is directly supporting with the exception of causing traffic on this website.

      % Anonymous User - Jan. 17, 2003 9:55 am:
       Quit wasting time cluttering this document with useless comments
       Quit wasting time cluttering this document with useless comments
       Quit wasting time cluttering this document with useless comments
       Quit wasting time cluttering this document with useless comments

       Oooops

      % Anonymous User - Jan. 21, 2003 2:59 am:
       ha ha - have read some of the drivel appended to this doc.
       seems that Zope can be used for chat too...

       all this creative energy could be put to good use, a shame it's being wasted with no direction but to
       criticise and crap on.