[ZDP] Teaching Newbies ZPT

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp@weitershausen.de
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:53:30 +0200

Chris McDonough wrote:
>>>I'm not all that keen on changing the stuff; it's not (yet) broke. ;-)
>>
>>But would it break when we'd convert at least index_html to a Page Template
>
> Probably not changing index_html, because it would only happen for new
> users (whom have no existing site dependencies).  But removing
> standard_html_header/footer it would likely break 3rd party apps that
> depended on their existence.

I agree with standard_html_header/footer. I wasn't thinking enough when
I proposed to remove them. However, I'd really be happy if we could
squeeze the index_html changeover into 2.7.0. If not, I will not be
happy, but nobody cares about that anyway... ;)

>>2.8? When's that gonna be? Before or after Zope3? *g*
>>Seriously, forgive my impatience, but do you think the feature plan for
>>2.7 is *that* tight?
>
> It *should* be.  2.7.0 is months overdue, and there is still a
> significant amount of work to be done to make installation and
> configuration work properly and to verify that things work properly
> under Python 2.2.  The TODO is available in the doc directory of the
> trunk.

Somehow I have the feeling the above is more of an invitation than a
statement. ;)

>>It should be proposed, no question about that. But again, 2.8 is miles
>>away. Heck, it the "someone" is a problem, I volunteer to update the
>>tutorial. I won't take that much time.
>
> Great!  (See, someone got indignant enough to volunteer ;-)  The
> tutorial isn't a piece of the framework, so I'm certain updates to it
> would be accepted for 2.7.0 were they finished on time.  If not, then
> they could definitely go into 2.7.1 (as opposed to 2.8).

Good. Where do you want me to make changes? In Zope HEAD or in a branch
(probably too much overhead, hum?)?

Phil