[ZDP] Teaching Newbies ZPT

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 20:22:25 -0400

> I agree with standard_html_header/footer. I wasn't thinking enough
when
> I proposed to remove them. However, I'd really be happy if we could
> squeeze the index_html changeover into 2.7.0. If not, I will not be
> happy, but nobody cares about that anyway... ;)

I'd have no problem with it if you're willing to take it on, but you
should probably run it by zope-coders to see if anyone else does.

> > It *should* be.  2.7.0 is months overdue, and there is still a
> > significant amount of work to be done to make installation and
> > configuration work properly and to verify that things work
properly
> > under Python 2.2.  The TODO is available in the doc directory of
the
> > trunk.
>
> Somehow I have the feeling the above is more of an invitation than a
> statement. ;)

Not really, the configuration stuff is pretty dense code.  Either Fred
Drake or I are probably the only ones who could hit it with a running
start.  The "move to 2.2" stuff is a little more vague.  I don't even
think we know what it means to audit the code for 2.2 compatibility,
and it seems to run fine.  So maybe that's a noop. ;-)

> > Great!  (See, someone got indignant enough to volunteer ;-)  The
> > tutorial isn't a piece of the framework, so I'm certain updates to
it
> > would be accepted for 2.7.0 were they finished on time.  If not,
then
> > they could definitely go into 2.7.1 (as opposed to 2.8).
>
> Good. Where do you want me to make changes? In Zope HEAD or in a
branch
> (probably too much overhead, hum?)?

Probably in a branch off the HEAD.  You likely don't need a branch of
the HEAD root directory, just a branch of the ZopeTutorial product.
I'm glad you volunteered, the tutorial's staleness has been bugging
me.  Thanks!

- C