[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Object Orientation

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Sun Nov 23 14:15:48 EST 2003

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ObjectOrientation.stx#2-12

---------------

    In an object-oriented system, to do any useful work, an object is
    required to communicate with other objects in the same system.
    For example, it wouldn't be particularly useful to have a single
    Employee object just sitting around in "object-land" with no way
    to communicate with it.  It would then just be as "dumb" as a
    regular old relational database row, just storing some data.  We
    want the capability to ask the object to do something useful.
    More precisely, we want the capability for *other* objects to ask
    our Employee object to do something useful.  For instance, if we
    create an object named "EmployeeSummary", which has the
    responsibility for collecting the names of all of our employees
    for later display, we want the EmployeeSummary object to be able
    to ask a set of Employee objects for their first and last names.

      % Anonymous User - Nov. 23, 2003 2:15 pm:
       toast