[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Using Zope Page Templates

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Tue Jun 1 14:59:27 EDT 2004

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ZPT.stx#2-25

---------------

    The *Expand macros with editing* control is explained in the
    chapter entitled "Advanced Page Templates":AdvZPT.stx.

      % Anonymous User - Nov. 4, 2003 10:47 am:
       Creating a Page Template  was the last headline.

       Simple Expressions   is the next one?  How about:

       Understanding TAL Statements       then
         The Structure of TAL Statements   then
         Expressions                       then
           Path Expressions

       It is virtually impossible to penetrate this text.

      % Anonymous User - Feb. 1, 2004 12:46 am:
       My 2c:

       I have to put in and say that this is not really very useful as an introductory text. It's more like the
       O'Reilly 'in a nutshell' series. It is easy for someone with programming, and particularly templating
       experience, but not for a beginner, which is what it should be aimed at, since it is the core documentation
       for Zope. That said, this manual is still in its formative stages; I'm just agreeing with the need for more
       thorough explanation and partitioning of concepts into sections... Ahh, if only there was time...

      % Anonymous User - Feb. 25, 2004 5:32 pm:
       # It is virtually impossible to penetrate this text.

       I agree that there is a need for beginner-level documentation, feel free to contribute and write something.
       It is F/OSS after all. There's nothing stopping you from fleshing out your outline. Go for it! You could even
       paste a link and maybe somebody will merge it into the text.
       That being said, here's a couple of links to a 4-part ZPT tutorial by Harish Kamath:

       http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Zope/ZPT-Basics-part-1/
       http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Zope/ZPT-Basics-part-2/
       http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Zope/ZPT-Basics-part-3/
       http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Zope/ZPT-Basics-part-4/

      % Anonymous User - Apr. 4, 2004 3:54 pm:
       Perhaps it should be pointed out the in F/OSS, work is motivated by personal need (scratching your own itch).
       As a result, the people who are *able to write* docs for beginners won't care to, and the people who *need*
       docs for beginners can't write them.

      % Anonymous User - May 12, 2004 1:14 pm:
       It would be nice to have an option while reading this to get rid of all the inane Anonymous User comments
       (including this one) so I can focus on the doument.

      % Anonymous User - May 23, 2004 4:32 pm:
       Indeed!! Please_
       How do u know, if this document is bad, if u can't read on, browse a couple lines back, etc...?
       Give us that 'kill comments'-button !-)

      % Anonymous User - June 1, 2004 2:59 pm:
       there is a kill comments button, it looks like:

       COM
       off

       in a square at the top and bottom of every page.