[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Basic DTML

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Thu Mar 25 04:33:27 EST 2004

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/DTML.stx#2-12

---------------

    In almost all cases, you will want to use a DTML Method object to
    perform DTML scripting.  DTML Document objects are an artifact of
    Zope's history that is somewhat unfortunate.  In Zope's earlier
    days, a consensus came about that it was important to have objects
    in Zope that could perform DTML commands but have properties of
    their own.  At the time, the other content objects in Zope, such
    as Files and Images were either nonexistent or had limitations in
    functionality that made the concept of a DTML Document attractive.
    That attraction has waned as Zope's other built-in content objects
    have become more functional.  DTML Documents remain in Zope almost
    solely as a backwards-compatibility measure.  If you never use a
    DTML Document in your work with Zope, you won't miss out on
    much!

      % Chirael - Mar. 25, 2004 4:33 am:
       Um, this is all great, but somewhere along the way I seem to have missed the section on creating a "normal"
       HTML page. If I just wanted to create a page with a few paragraphs about giraffes, what would I use? A DTML
       Document? A DTML Method? Something else entirely? Maybe I missed it, but it would be nice to have a bigger
       section in the documentation devoted to *static* web pages (and how to change/preview/publish them) BEFORE
       jumping right into dynamic pages, methods, etc.