[ZDP] BackTalk to Document Zope Developer's Guide (2.4 edition)/Security

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Fri May 7 07:44:01 EDT 2004

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/Security.stx#2-0

---------------

    A typical web application needs to be securely managed.  Different
    types of users need different kinds of access to the components
    that make up an application. To this end, Zope includes a
    comprehensive set of security features.  This chapter's goal is to
    shed light on Zope security in the context of Zope Product
    development.  For a more fundamental overview of Zope security,
    you may wish to refer to the *Zope Book*, Chapter 6, "Users and
    Security":http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/Security.dtml .
    Before diving into this chapter, you should have a basic
    understanding of how to build Zope Products as well as an
    understanding of how the Zope object publisher works. These topics
    are covered in Chapter 2 and Chapter 3, respectively.

      % Anonymous User - Sep. 12, 2002 11:30 am:
       Our web-page is designed in a way to allow specific user groups access to certain parts of it. In order to
       check this function we created in a lower hierarchy of the parent folder a new folder (test folder). Access
       to the new folder has been restricted by cancelling all acquire permission settings.
       The manager however obtains all rights to access and administrate the web-site. Another self-defined user
       group shall only be able to view the defined pages.
       When the web-site is reloaded in a new Internet Explorer Window the access is denied in general.
       No matter whether this is attempted by the manager itself or some restricted user, who has been given
       permission to enter specific parts of our web-pages. Unfortunately this is not the expected result. Has
       anybody got a clue what is wrong ? What could be done to access a limited part of our system ?
       contact: gis at nordschwarzwald-region.de

      % Anonymous User - May 7, 2004 7:38 am:
       This will make all lines very long, thus rendering the page almost useless. This will make all lines very
       long, thus rendering the page almost useless. This will make all lines very long, thus rendering the page
[...]

      % Anonymous User - May 7, 2004 7:44 am:
       While trying to read though the documentation at
       http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/Security.stx, I
       noticed some very strange problems regarding the HTML.

       The main problem is that the text in the <pre> tags are not
       automatically wrapped at 76 or 80 characters/columns. Therefore the
       containing element gets rendered as wide as the lines (user comments!)
       are long.

       I would recommend to wrap all user contributed text at 80 columns so
       that users don't have to scroll horizontal all the time.

       Other problems regard XHTML-syntax, but I'll leave that to the
       page(-template) designers.

       Regards,
       Ronald van Engelen <zope-doc at lacocina.nl>