[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Installing and Starting Zope

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Thu May 13 16:53:13 EDT 2004

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/InstallingZope.stx#2-19

---------------

    **Important note: If you installed Zope from an RPM or a another
    "vendor distribution" instead of installing a Zope
    Corporation-distributed binary or source release, the instructions
    below may be not be applicable.  Under these circumstances, please
    read the documentation supplied by the vendor to determine how to
    start your Zope instance instead of relying on the instructions
    below.**

      % Anonymous User - Mar. 25, 2004 6:20 pm:
       I installed zope on Gentoo using using portage (emerge zope). There is no start script, and I cannot find any
       reference for how to start zope without it!

      % Anonymous User - Mar. 27, 2004 10:47 am:
       You're right, there is no script called 'start'. But there is /etc/init.d/zope-2_6_4 to start/stop zope.
       Works quite fine for me.

      % Anonymous User - May 12, 2004 12:58 pm:
       Gentoo is a little different. You need to emerge zope-config and run it. Here's a quote from <a
       href="http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2003-September/140597.html">this thread...</a>
       <i>
       Gentoo's package is *not* a vanilla installation of Zope, though it is a
       quite good one.  Read the docs that come with this package and they will
       tell you to use:

       zope-config --zpasswd

       IIRC, this sets the initial password but also performs some other
       configuration tasks, such as initializing the instance home.  You won't
       be able to use Zope with this ebuild unless you either use the ebuild
       the way it was designed or decide to hack your own.
       </i>

      % Anonymous User - May 13, 2004 4:53 pm:
       For Gentoo users who have installed Zope using portage (emerge zope), once you have run zope-config as
       described above, you should be able to start it by:
       (1) Change directory to /etc/init.d
       (2) Find the startup script in the directory created when you create a zope instance (as described above) and
       then using:
       myhostname init.d # ./zope-my-new-zope-instance start

       You stop it using:

       myhostname init.d # ./zope-my-new-zope-instance start

       Remember, you must run zope-config to both create a zope instance and set the password as described above. I
       think there is a default instance, e.g., /etc/init.d/zope-2_6_4 which you could use. HTH Gentoo users.