[Zope-Annce] Zope Weekly News
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:14:15 -0500 (EST)
Zope Weekly News is a digest of some of the useful and interesting
events which have occurred in the Zope universe. It is published
each Wednesday evening.
Any opinions contained in the Zope Weekly News are those of the
* "faassen" released ZFormulator 0.1:
"ZFormulator is a product that can assist with the creation of
HTML forms, their validation and processing. The Zope user can
construct forms from within the Zope management interface."
"Neat feature: eats its own dogfood (ZFormulator is built with
* "vladap" released MySQL User Folder. It allows you to store user
information in a MySQL database.
* "phd" has submitted an early development release of
mod_pcgi2(0.0.1). Presumably, this moves the wafer-thin C stub
PCGI employs into Apache's process, eliminating the so-called fork tax.
* Digital Creations has partnered with Fast Engines to add support
for their FastServ product. FastServ provides advanced
load-balancing (even within a heterogenous server environment) and
works with industry standard web servers.
* Digital Creations has announced that an early 2000 Zope release
will include support for two open protocols heavily supported by
Microsoft: the Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) and Web
Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) protocol.
* Another press release from DC: Jon Udell will be delivering a
keynote at the Zope Track of the 8th International Python
* "TWilson" announced a special interest group on the subject of
Zope and educators. The group is still in it's formative period,
so get involved now to help plan it's future.
* Tom Deprez <email@example.com> reported on the state of
the Zope Documentation Project.
* Eduardo Fernandez Corrales <firstname.lastname@example.org> has a Spanish
Zope portal and mailing list.
* Paul Everitt sent out a reminder that it's time to register for
the Zope Track at the 8th International Python Conference.
* Zope 2.1.0 final has been released! This release includes many
bug fixes, speed improvements and new features.
A log of everything that has changed is also available.
* Zope Resources is changing slightly. Zope Hosting Providers is
being replaced with a more general page, Zope Solution Providers.
* "Zen" submitted a pair of tips about Zope's little-known
'manage_debug' method, which can provide profiling information and
information useful for debugging connection problems.
* "tseaver" reported a LinuxPlanet review of Zope. Kevin Reichard
(the reviewer) brings with him a fresh perspective as someone
coming from outside the "Zope community". He gives Zope an
overall 4/5 rating and raises a number of concerns, some valid,
some perhaps less so. Kevin represents a demographic destined to
become the majority of Zope users (namely, those who view Zope as
a tool rather than as a way of life. ;-) ) and so his review
deserves careful consideration.
* Rodrigo <email@example.com> posted a query about using Zope with
SSL. The common solution is to use Zope with Apache, IIS or
Netscape Server to provide a secure connection. David Kankiewicz
<firstname.lastname@example.org> cited an old post about a product which gives
ZServer the ability to establish SSL connections!