[Zope-Annce] Xmlt 1.10 - generating html documents with a common layout

Anders Andersen aa@computer.org
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:08:04 +0100

Xmlt 1.10 - generating html documents with a common layout

Xmlt (pronounced ex-melt) merges a layout description with the
document contents and generates a html document.

Xmlt (Xmlt Merges Layout and Text) uses the DocumentTemplate module
from Zope [1] to merge a layout (described in a dtml-file) and the text
(found in xmlt-files) into a html document.  Its main purpose is to
separate the layout description from the contents description of html
documents and to reuse the layout description in a large number of
documents.

Xmlt is originally written to maintain my personal web pages, but it
might be useful for other web page maintainers and html document
authors too.  Xmlt is available for free with code, documents and
examples.  Send any comments to me (my email address is found in the
signature below).

I guess it is a little bit strange to use Zope technology to generate
static web pages, but I found dtml very useful in the context of a lot
of documents with similar layout.  I use good old make to generate and
install my web pages after I have done any layout or contents changes
(I will consider to trash make when the Software Carpentry Open Source
Design Competition [2] has come up with a new tool-set that can
replace good old make :-).

Xmlt, a user guide and some examples are available from the Python
starship:

  ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/anders/xmlt/
  ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/anders/xmlt/doc/xmlt.html

Anders,

[1] http://www.zope.org/
[2] http://www.software-carpentry.com/

--