[Zope-Annce] Announcing dev.zope.org

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:36:28 -0400

Hello all,

For some time now, it has been a goal of ours to open up
the Zope development process. Some of you may have heard
me promise this at the Zope track back in January. Well,
it took a little longer than I had hoped it would, but
I'm happy to announce an important step in making that
a reality: http://dev.zope.org.

dev.zope.org is the place for discovering, initiating,
and contributing to work on the core Zope platform and
related Zope technologies. You can think of it as the
rough equivalent of what Mozilla.org is to Mozilla.

Why has it taken so long? Because there is much more to
"opening the development process" than simply doling out
CVS access. Evolving a relatively large and complex
piece of software like Zope is a non-trivial task, and
doing it in a highly distributed environment is harder
still. The dev.zope.org site will provide the background
materials and tools to ensure that work on Zope is
consistent in organization and execution. It will also
help those new to Zope development to come up to speed
and get involved quickly.

There is still plenty to do be done on the site, but it
is done enough to start using it so I want to start
learning by doing. If you have questions or comments on
the dev site, please send them to me at brian@digicool.com
and CC the zope-dev list (which is where I expect traffic
related to dev.zope.org should go in the near term).

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909