[Zope-Annce] ANNOUNCE: Pound - reverse proxy and load balancer - v1.1
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:56:50 +0100
This is to announce the release of Pound v1.1.
New in this release:
- improved auto-configuration. Pound compiles now correctly on more
platforms, including various *BSD.
- new: LogLevel 3 for Apache-compatible "combined log format" (should be
easier for automated tools).
- Pound no longer asks for a client certificate in HTTPS unless it is really
- much improved stability; new monitor process to watch and restart the real
process if necessary.
- better handling of the 'Connectio: close' header, resulting in fewer
problems with IE 5+.
- possibility to listen on all available interfaces, including dynamic
changing IP addresses.
- a few minor bug fixes. Most notably a work-around for a bug in the threads
library on OpenBSD 3.2.
- new support for HTTPS for Zope 2.6 (same as previously available for 2.5.1)
The software is at version 1.1 (production quality). Further testing
(especially under heavy loads), improvements and suggestions are welcome.
What is Pound (from the Web page)
- a reverse-proxy: it passes requests from client browsers to one or more
- a load balancer: it will distribute the requests from the client browsers
among several back-end servers, while keeping session information.
- an SSL wrapper: Pound will decrypt HTTPS requests from client browsers and
pass them as plain HTTP to the back-end browsers.
- an HTTP/HTTPS sanitizer: Pound will verify requests for correctness and
accept only well-formed ones.
- an HTTP/1.1 to 1.0 proxy.
- a fail-over-server: should a back-end server fail, Pound will take note of
the fact and stop passing requests to it until it recovers.
- a request redirector - it will pass client requests to separate groups of
servers, based on required URL and the presence or absence of headers
Pound was specifically developed to serve as a front-end for multiple
instances of Zope running on top of a common ZEO storage, but can be used
with any other web server. A patch for the Python source of z2.py is
available as part of the distribution to allow using Pound's SSL capabilities.
Pound is currently in use in several medium to large volume sites and seems
to be holding up quite well: largest reported site does about 3.5 million
requests per day, peaking at over 300 requests per second. The speed is well
superior to other, equivalent solutions, the configuration is much simpler
and the necessary resources (CPU, RAM, disk) are much, much lower.
Pound is distributed under the GPL.
For further information, download, etc. please see http://www.apsis.ch/pound
Enjoy and let me know how it works for you.
Postfach, Uetikon am See, CH-8707
Tel: +41-1-920 4904