[Zope-Annce] First public release of RevisionManager (1.0rc2)
Philipp von Weitershausen
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:31:43 +0100
I am proud to publicy release RevisionManager. RevisionManager is a CVS
frontend product for Zope. It brings the power of revision controlling
to the ZODB.
I know, the idea is not new. To my knowledge, RevisionManager has two
* The first one is Steve Spicklemire's ZCVSFolder product on which
development seems to have stopped. Its disadvantage is that it is
complicated to use and stores data as pickles.
* The other one is CVSFile by Ariel Partners LLC. Here, the object you
wish to revision control IS a CVSFile. Although it can behave like a
PageTemplate or DTMLMethod, you cannot revision control real
PageTemplates with it. If you already have a site with a large amount
of PageTemplates, you will have to replace them with CVSFiles.
Here is how RevisionManager does it and the advantages:
* There is one instance per site, like with ZCVSFolder. That also means
central settings and a central, tabular view of all managed files and
their current status in CVS.
* You define your settings, commit changes, update objects and view logs
comfortably through the ZMI. No command line is involved.
* You may revision control all objects that support FTP up and download
(i.e. most standard Zope content objects).
* Editors may checkout the site to their file system and use their
favourite editor and standard file system tools.
* It is great for keeping two Zope sites in sync and document changes on
RevisionManager has only been tested on Linux, but it should run on all
Unices. There is no support for Windows and I don't think there ever
Please try it out, test it and tell me how you found it. You may
download it at: