[Zope-Annce] ANNOUNCE: Pound - reverse proxy and load balancer -
roseg at apsis.ch
Tue Oct 14 04:57:36 EDT 2003
This is to announce the release of Pound v1.5.
Changes in this version:
- support for sessions by Basic Authentication: "Session BASIC" parameter
- stringent syntax checking of request.
- user-defined request character set(s): new parameters CSsegment,
CSparameter, CSqid, CSqval
- option to limit the request size: parameter MaxRequest
- single log function rather than #ifdefs.
- added LogLevel 4 (same as 3 but without the virtual host info).
- added HeadRemove directive (allows to delete a header from requests).
- location rewriting on redirect (codes 301, 302, 303, 307): the content is
changed to reflect the location for Pound rathre than the back-end
- some bug fixes and speed improvements
The software is at version 1.5 (production quality). Further testing
(especially under heavy loads), improvements and suggestions are welcome.
What is Pound (from the Web page)
- a reverse-proxy: it passes requests from client browsers to one or more
- a load balancer: it will distribute the requests from the client browsers
among several back-end servers, while keeping session information.
- an SSL wrapper: Pound will decrypt HTTPS requests from client browsers and
pass them as plain HTTP to the back-end browsers.
- an HTTP/HTTPS sanitizer: Pound will verify requests for correctness and
accept only well-formed ones.
- an HTTP/1.1 to 1.0 proxy.
- a fail-over-server: should a back-end server fail, Pound will take note of
the fact and stop passing requests to it until it recovers.
- a request redirector - it will pass client requests to separate groups of
servers, based on required URL and the presence or absence of headers
Pound was specifically developed to serve as a front-end for multiple
instances of Zope running on top of a common ZEO storage, but can be used
with any other web server. A patch for the Python source of z2.py is
available as part of the distribution to allow using Pound's SSL capabilities.
Pound is currently in use in several medium to large volume sites and seems
to be holding up quite well: largest reported site does about 5.5 million
requests per day, peaking at over 450 requests per second. The speed is well
superior to other, equivalent solutions, the configuration is much simpler
and the necessary resources (CPU, RAM, disk) are much, much lower.
Pound is distributed under the GPL.
For further information, download, etc. please see http://www.apsis.ch/pound
Pound now has its own mailing-list - just send a message to
pound-subscribe at apsis.ch in order to join.
Enjoy and let me know how it works for you.
Postfach, Uetikon am See, CH-8707
Tel: +41-1-920 4904
More information about the Zope-Announce