[Zope-Annce] State of Zope 3

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Oct 27 13:23:22 EST 2003

Hello to everyone in the Zope community and beyond,

you might have wondered why you have not heard from the Zope 3 developer
community for a while. Also, where in the world is the first alpha, not to
mention the first beta that was planned for this Fall? Has the development
stalled?

No, not at all! We are all still committed to produce one of the most advanced
Internet Application Servers available. However, in recent months as more and
more applications [1] were developed for Zope 3, we recognized issues with
some of the fundamental components of Zope 3 and we decided to fix them
before going any further.

The first step of this code review was Parentgeddon, which removed 99% of the
use of ContextWrappers, which was probably the worst single annoyance of Zope
3. Next we noticed already a while ago, that Adapters as we have them now
impose a limitation to their usefulness, since one can only map one interface
to another. In the ongoing Adaptergeddon, this limitation is removed by
allowing a set of N interfaces to be mapped to another interface. For details
see the proposal [2]. After this -geddon is completed, we will release
Milestone 4, which is currently scheduled for November 10.

But we are not done geddoning at that point. The security and containers also
need some work. Currently, the application developer has to always write some
annoying boilerplate and the relationships between containers and containees
is not enforced. See the "Simplifying Implementing Containers" [3] and
"Containment Constraints" [4] proposals for detail. After these final two
major refactorings we will release Milestone 5 on December 1st or January
1st, which will hopefully be the last one.

After MS 5, we will head towards the first alpha (in January 2004) and beta
(in February 2004). From then on we will concentrate on efficiency,
scalability, stability, as well as on API and GUI cleanups.

The upcoming development will be supported by two sprints. Jim will go to
India in December and there will be an UI sprint in Australia in February.

If you have general questions about Zope 3, please do not hesitate to send a
mail to zope3-dev at zope.org. For concerns and remarks about the release
schedule feel free to send an E-mail directly to stephan.richter at tufts.edu.

Sincerely,
The Zope 3 Development Team