[Zope-Annce] Zope X3 3.0.0 beta 1 released
stephan.richter at tufts.edu
Fri Jun 4 15:57:29 EDT 2004
Dear Zope community,
The Zope 3 development team is proud to announce the first beta release of
Zope X3 3.0.0.
Zope X3 is the next major Zope release and has been written from scratch based
on the latest software design patterns and the experiences of Zope 2. The "X"
in the name stands for "experimental", since this release does not try to
provide any backward-compatibility to Zope 2.
Installation instructions for both Windows and Un*x/Linux are now available
in the top level README.txt of the distribution.
Changes to alpha 2
- More packages have been removed from the distribution. This includes the
'session' package and all the packages that deal with Python code inside
the ZODB, such as 'zodbcode' and persistent interfaces.
- Complete reimplementation of the event system to use subscribers.
- Updated the online help system (not to be confused with API doc tool) to
reflect the latest APIs and design patterns.
- The access log can now be configured via the 'zope.conf' file.
- The underlying component lookup machinery has been overhauled. Every Zope
thread now knows automatically about the context. This simplified the
component lookup API a lot.
- Several bug fixes.
- The Russian translation was completed and the German one was updated as
The API is frozen now for X3.0.0. We would like to ask all people to test
this release and report any bugs or mis-behaviors!
The beta period is scheduled to last for about 1 month. During this month we
will try to complete the following tasks:
- Fix outstanding bugs.
- Optimize critical components to speed up the system.
- Write and update documentation.
- Add and complete translations.
- Remove as many XXX comments as possible.
There is still much to do! Even if you are not a programmer, you can help!
Please send any bug reports and comments to zope3-dev at zope.org! Thank you
very much in advance for your help!
Jim Fulton, Marius Gedminas, Fred Drake, Philipp von Weitershausen, Stephan
Richter, Dmitry Vasiliev, Scott Pascoe, Bjorn Tillenius, Eckart Hertzler,
Roger Ineichen, Stuart Bishop
Thanks to everyone!
More information about the Zope-Announce