[Zope-Annce] Zope 3.1.0 RC 2 released!
srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Aug 28 10:35:44 EDT 2005
The Zope 3 development team is proud to announce Zope 3.1.0 candidate 2.
Zope 3 is the next major Zope release and has been written from scratch based
on the latest software design patterns and the experiences of Zope 2.
It is in our opinion that Zope 3.1 is more than ready for production use,
which is why we decided to drop the 'X' for experimental from the name. We
will also continue to work on making the transition between Zope 2 and Zope 3
as smooth as possible. As a first step, Zope 2.8 includes Zope 3 features in
the form of Five.
Now that we have a release that we would like to declare stable next week, we
are looking for translators, who translate Zope 3 into their favorite
language! We are utilizing the Rosetta system from Ubuntu for managing those
translations. If you are not familiar with Rosetta, please send us a mail to
zope3-dev at zope.org and we get you set up.
Installation instructions for both Windows and Un*x/Linux are now available
in the top level 'README.txt' file of the distribution. The binary installer
is recommended for Windows.
Zope 3.1 requires Python 2.3.5 or 2.4.1 to run. You must also have zlib
installed on your system.
Changes Since 3.1.0c1
- Removed an untested missfeature that can cause infinite loops in
principalfolder's Principal class.
- Switch to METAL 1.1, which solved a serious bug.
- Grant view cleaned up.
- Add missing id attribute to select widget.
- pytz has been updated.
- Some code optimization in the HTTP factory of the publisher and
- Multiple headers having the same name are correctly handled now.
- Now SQL operation parameters will be properly encoded before executing.
- More carefully handle case when SQL parameters is a tuple or a list of
- All request factories can now be configured.
- Script and Installation documentation improvements.
- Fixed several bugs in API doc. Also provided some flexibility with the
- Fix to source widget hasInput and associated changes
- Updated Build System.
- Fix I18n bugs. Updated Russian and German translations.
Most Important Changes Since 3.0
- New Pluggable Authentication Utility (PAU), which is similar in
philosophy to the Zope 2 PAS. The following features are available in
the in the basic PAU facility:
+ Credentials Plugins: Basic HTTP Auth, Session
+ Authenticator Plugins: Principal Folder, Group Folder
For a detailed description of the pluggable authentication utility,
- Major simplifications to the component architecture:
+ Removal of the concept of a service. All outstanding services were
converted to utilities: Error Reporting, FSSync, Authentication.
+ Site Managers are global and local now; adapters and utilties are
directly registered with the site manager. Now global and local
component registration and lookup behaves very similar.
+ Local registrations can now only have two states: active and
inactive. This simplified the code so much, that 'zope.app.utility',
'zope.app.registration' and 'zope.app.site' were all merged into
+ Implemented menus as utilities. The API also supports sub-menus now.
+ Implemented views as adapters. Skins and layers are now simply
interfaces that the request provides.
- Added an integer-id facility for assigning integer identifiers
- Added basic catalog and index frameworks.
- Added "sources", which are like vocabularies except that they
support very large collections of values that must be
searched, rather than browsed.
- Created a new granting UI that allows advanced searching of
- Implemented a generic user preferences systsem that was designed to be
easily used in TALES expressions and via Python code. Preferences can be
edited via 'http://localhost:8080/++preferences++/'. A demo of the
preferences can be found at::
- ZCML now supports conditional directives using the 'zcml:condition'
attribute. The condition is of the form "verb argument". Two verbs, 'have
feature' and 'installed module' are currently implemented. Features can be
declared via the 'meta:provides' directive.
- Improved API doctool: Code Browser now shows interfaces, text files and
ZCML files; the new Book Module compiles all available doctext files into
an organized book; the new Type Module lets you browser all interface
types and discover interfaces that provide types; views are shown in the
interface details screen; views and adapters are categorized into
specific, extended and generic; user preferences allow you to customize
certain views; 3rd party modules can now be added to the Code Browser.
- Improved I18n-based number and datetime formatting by integrating 'pytz'
for timezone support, implementing all missing format characters, and
reinterpreting the ICU documentation to correctly parse patterns.
- Added '++debug++' traversal adapter that allows you to turn on
debugging flags in 'request.debug'. Currently the following flags
are defined: source, tal, errors.
- Improved logout support.
- Added the HTTP request recorder, which lets you inspect raw HTTP requests
and responses. It can be used to create functional doctests without
requiring third-party tools such as TCPWatch.
- Developed a generic 'browser:form' directive. It is pretty much the
same as the 'browser:editform' directive, except that the data is
not stored on some context or adapted context but sent as a dictionary
to special method (by default).
For a complete list of changes see the 'CHANGES.txt' file.
- "Zope 3 Development Web Site":http://dev.zope.org/Zope3
- "Zope 3 Dev Mailing List":http://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope3-dev
- "Zope 3 Users Mailing
- IRC Channel: #zope3-dev at irc.freenode.net
Thanks goes to everyone that contributed.
The Zope 3 Development Team
More information about the Zope-Announce