[Zope-Annce] Silva 2.2 alpha Released
kitblake at infrae.com
Tue Nov 18 12:39:45 EST 2008
Silva 2.2 alpha Released
Infrae is pleased to announce the alpha release of Silva 2.2. This
release adds a slew of new features for developers and system
administrators, and is a quantum leap with Zope 2.11 and Five/Grok
technology. Also the Sphinx-driven docs.infrae.com has gone online.
New features, of interest to developers
* Silva has been ‘eggified’. Buildout scripts can now retrieve eggs
from https://dist.infrae.com/ and the Python Package Index (formerly
the Cheese Shop).
* Five/Grok views are supported. This lets you define Zope 3 Views to
* All Silva content types and services now use five.grok for
configuration and registration.
* Content types are now created and edited using the z3c forms
* Generic Formlib and z3c forms support have been added to the ZMI.
* The mechanism for previewing public pages has been refactored. No
additional ZCML and view definitions are needed. Importantly, a Five
namespace is used so that the author stays in preview mode even when
* Publications can now become a subsite, meaning that they have local
services that change their local configuration.
* A separate metadata set to mark publications as virtual hosts is not
needed. Now to get virtual hosts working you just have to configure
* Filesystem-based layout has been refactored: it’s now much easier to
define a layout and extend it. You can use Zope 3 views, content
providers and viewlets.
* Skin templates on the file system can be easily customized, via a
customization service that duplicates the template in the ZODB.
Customization can apply only to selected content with the help of
customization markers, or to all content implementing one given
interface (for instance all documents, or all containers). Manager
users can then edit at will and make changes in a live server without
restart. This is not a replacement for more robust development
methods, but can be a great way to make small adjustments to parts of
New features, of interest to system administrators
* BLOB support has been implemented. This provides the Zope 2.11
option to use BLOBs for storing binary objects. The existing ExtFile
implementation is still fully supported. Out-of-the-box, binaries are
still stored in the ZODB.
* A user interface for conversion between ZODB binary storage, ExtFile
binary storage and BLOB binary storage has been created. Migrate, or
revert, with a button click.
New features, of interest to users
* Changes have been made in SilvaLayout with skin-based components
added, such as viewlets, a viewlet manager, and content providers.
* When previewing, an author can now navigate throughout the site,
staying in preview mode. This holds not only for content but for all
links in a template.
Check out docs.infrae.com
Silva 2.2 code has been used to generate developer documentation using
Sphinx. See http://docs.infrae.com/. This is also an alpha.
What is Silva?
Silva is a powerful CMS for organizations that manage multiple or
complex websites. Content is stored in clean and futureproof XML,
independent of layout and presentation. Features include versioning,
workflow system, integral visual editor (Kupu), content reuse,
sophisticated access control, multi-site management, extensive import/
export facilities, fine-grained templating, and hi-res image storage
For more complete information, see the Silva Product Pages at http://infrae.com/products/silva
As this is a developer release it’s only available using buildout:
or using Paster by selecting the development distribution.
FMI contact Sylvain Viollon, sylvain at infrae com, +31 10 243 7051.
More information about the Zope-Announce