[Zope-PTK] CVS update - Discussions, permissions fixed, more

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 18:20:44 -0400 (EDT)

  Just a note to let folk's know what's been going on in the CVS this
week.

  On Thursday, I commited the initial Discussions framework to the
CVS.  There is some brief documentation in interfaces, expect it to
get a bit more fleshed out next week.

  Two new mix-ins were created.  'Discussable' represents any resource
which supports replies, and 'DiscussionResponse' represents the
replies.  'Discussable' has been mixed in with PortalContent, meaning
that all PTK objects can potentially be the root of a discussion.
(This can be disallowed on a per-object basis by overriding a method.)
'DiscussionResponse' has been mixed with the PTK Document class in a
new class called 'DiscussionItem'.  This is the class that is
presently used for replies on the PTK.

  At the same time, the Toolbox protocol was extended.  Now, the
toolbox will search an object's ancestory for additional
toolbox_actions methods, and include the result of calling those in
the object's toolbox as well.  This makes it much easier to factor
behaviour out into mixin classes, and eliminates code duplication in
the toolbox_actions methods.

  The last couple of days were spent fixing my botched permission
code.  The result should be a much more stable and robust PTK.  I
can't promise I haven't introduced new bugs in doing so.  In fact, I'm
pretty sure I've seen one that I've since lost track of, so don't lose
that Tracker URL.

  My next goals are to add Topics to the PTK (for those of you keeping
score at home, it'll probably get pushed into the weekend) and to get
rid of the need for PortalFolder.  I'm sure no one will mourn it.

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228