[Zope-PTK] FYI: Sad news for PTK

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:51:58 -0400

Howdy sports fans.  I'm a bit overdue on delivering this news.

Many of you know that Mike Pelletier has been the primary developer and
owner of PTK.  As I reported last week, Mike had to take some time off
to take care of some family matters.  Unfortunately for all of us, the
time away needs to be more permanent.

First, I'd like to give Mike a big round of applause for taking charge
of the PTK and crafting it into something truly engaging for the Zope
community.  Mike has been wonderful to work with and has really shown a
great touch in being engaged on this project and staying ahead of bugs
and features.  I wish him the best of luck in his next step.

However, this puts the PTK in a bad spot.  We at Digital Creations are
growing rapidly, but we're still resource starved for community projects
like this.  Bluntly stated, the prognosis in the very near term isn't
good for us to be the sole developer of the PTK.

Thus, there's a clear choice at hand:

  o PTK cools off for some period of time.

  o PTK becomes an Open Source _development_ project, with many people
getting checkin authority.

I'll leave the commentary out for this first round and open up the floor
for comments.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909