[Zope-PTK] PTK CVS Structure

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:39:47 +0200

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 08:30:15AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Slightly off topic, but CVS related, has anyone managed to checkout out
> > a tag from the CVS? (more specifically, one they've created)
> > I haven't tried recently, but I seem to remember this just chucked up
> > CVS errors...
>
> The PTK CVS is somewhat anomalous:
>
>  - PTK is the only project which currently allows checkins on
>    cvs.zope.org.
>
>  - Its code sits "inside" the same repository used by the main Zope CVS.
>
>  - The main Zope CVS is replicated from our internal CVS repository
>    using a fairly frequent cron job;  in particular, this replication
>    replaces the CVSROOT/val-tags file.
>
>  - The PTK CVS is *not* replicated from the internal CVS:  i.e., the
>    CVS on cvs.zope.org is the only repository for it.
>
>  - The replication of the CVSROOT accounting machinery for the "main"
>    repository wipes out any tags added to the CVSROOT/val-tags file
>    (the PTK repository files still have the tags, but they can't be
>    checked out unless the tag is in CVSROOT/val-tags).
>
>  - Ergo, one *can* tag files in the PTK CVS;  one can even check out the
>    repository using those tags, up until the next time the cron job wipes
>    the newly-minted tag from the face of the planet.
>
> I believe that these anomalies are due to be addressed as a prerequisite
> to allowing checkin access to the community;  I don't know anything about
> the schedule for doing the fix.

*Ahem* You are forgetting that the Zope Studio CVS is configured in exactly
the same way, PTK is thus not the only project allowing checkins on
cvs.zope.org :)

I believe Ken was talking about ppl getting CVS checkin access on Korak, thgus
bypassing the CVSROOT/val-tags replication problem.

--
Martijn Pieters