[Zope-PTK] DublinCore revisited

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:07:51 -0700

Tres Seaver wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Dan L. Pierson wrote:
>
> > Tres Seaver writes:
> >  >   Subject -- this is supposed to be drawn from a "controlled"
> >  >     list of keywords (e.g., selected from a multi-select list
> >  >     used across the whole site).
> >
> > This is allowed to be a list of such keywords, right?  That's what I
> > remember from my quick read of some of the DublinCore docs about a
> > week ago.  Looking at your message again, you do say "multi-select
> > list" so I guess you mean the same.
>
> Yep -- this makes stuff like ZTopics really work well, for instance.
> Full-text searching is great, especially for "serendiptious" finds,
> but it doesn't really handle the "logical classification" notion very
> well.

I wonder, could an advanced implementation handle asigning
multiple keywords to the Subject simply by selecting an
appropriate location within a heirarchy? I've found that
people are better at sticking things in the appropriate
category/sub-category than at selecting appropriate
keywords. Selecting more than one location could result in
the appropriate keyword lists being ANDed together with
duplicates removed.

Just an idea,

Michael  Bernstein.