[Zope-PTK] Workflow - security model

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:56:44 -0500

Jay said:

> We have plenty of tools for doing software process using CVS for doing
code
> reviews and merging etc. I can see no un-dodgy way to let code that
resides
> in the the ODB to participate in this. What is needed is a full file per
> object based ODB implementation or something. This again runs into the
same
> problem of "What about bizzare pickled object data?". And how would you
> match zope users to CVS users? And versions? How would changes in the file
> system get back into Zope?

ZCVS Mixin may not resolve all these concerns, but the "file centric"
view of CVS is accomodated, by exporting from a central (test) Zope, and
then importing to a development (dev) Zope. The dev Zope could be a Zope
installation on the developers desktop, or a local server accessible via
LAN. Native ZODB objects are moved "through" CVS as files, which is how
diffs, etc. are managed.

and:

> Its not transparent. Zope's idea of versioning and CVS need to be very
> tightly linked. I like the idea of CVS being another ODB implementation
(be
> it a really slow and inefficient one

 http://www.zope.org/Members/sspickle/ZCVSMixin

The screen shots don't show everything you need to know to make the most of
ZCVS Mixin, but they can give you some hints. No it's not transparent, but
it is integrated by way of a Tab in the Zope Through the Web GUI. Rather
than
CVS being a separate ODB, CVS acts as an intermediary between the common
ODB,
and the developer's local ODB. The role of CVS is really much the same as in

conventional usage, providing the means to create snapshots, step through a
revision history (independent of a "packed" central ZODB), etc.

> Because of this reason this doesn't really work for a content management
> application. For content management the idea of workflow has to
> configurable, have a customized gui and again be transparent to Zope.

Yes, ZCVS Mixin wasn't created to solve "content management" within a
Workflow
Paradigm. On the other hand, if your content providers are already using the

Zope TTW GUI, the ZCVS Tab is good at showing the state of revisions.

Content Management, as most folks imagine it, is more of an application than
system tool. A higher level interface with events and triggers could
certainly
be layered over ZCVS to provide services to content oriented users.

and Paul said:

> Looks like we need to make Zope a Subversion server, so we'll have to add
> change sets and diffs. :^)

The SubVersion plan also sounds cool, but if you have to keep moving today,
ZCVS Mixin can help with most of the thorniest details of Object Versioning.

Later,
Jerry S.