[Zope-PTK] Workflow - security model

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:31:02 -0500

Chalu Kim says:

> In my previous message, I have mentioned two idea;
>
> 1. selective packing built into generic object model
> 2. selective ZODB mounting to create that subversioning
> 3. with this, a utility to extract sub-object into ZODB mountable file
>
> Once, these things are in place. We can take it a step further to
> create portable ZODB.

Some existing modules may be just what you want, e.g. Relational
(Oracle, Berkely) Storage,

http://www.zope.org/Products/OracleStorage/

and Mounted FileStorage.

http://www.zope.org/Members/anthony/software/MountedFileStorage/

By moving Zope Objects into a Tabular (RDBM) system packing can be
dispensed with, to a large degree. Further, the option to use
selectable sources for the storage and retrieval of any object type
suggest the possibility to physically seperate objects types e.g.
"Content", "Presentation", "Logic".

Clearly the "Logic" partition is the piece that most coders struggle
with, so a Mountable, Relational "Logic" store could go a long way
toward supplementing the basic infrastructure requirements.

Of course, everyone knows that the most important part is whatever
they are personally involved in, so the "Content" and "Presentation"
folks may see this differently.

> Building CVS into Zope to create sub-version does not sound nice.
> It definitely throws something off.

I don't think amyone sees ZCVS Mixin as the ultimate solution, but
taken in context of leveraging a popular existing skillset, it can
help quite significantly, especially for complex sites, and all the
more when multiple developers are working remotely. There's a good
reason CVS is such a workhorse in the world of Global Open Source
projects. That won't keep all those coders from grabbing something
even better, when it "gets there", in a heartbeat!

Later,
Jerry S.