[Zope-PTK] Member Publishing

Renato De Giovanni rdg@viafractal.com.br
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:24:12 -0200

> Actually, I think that workflows should inherently implement
> sub-workflows. That's how process are organized and how people
> work. One could argue that with an adequately designed workflow
> system, *everything*, including queries are sub-workflows. Not to
> mention that many workflows *require* sub-workflows...
>
> As to whether a sub-workflow constitutes a sub-state, I'm not
> exactly sure... :^)

Hi Ken,

Untill now I havenīt seen a real situation where states of an object/entity cannot be
represented in only one workflow... I know that transitions in a workflow may
sometimes trigger other transitions from other workflows - this may happen when
different objects have a composition or dependency relation between them (for
instance, after cancelling an order item the order itself may also be cancelled or
not). But this is not a sub-workflow example.
And I can imagine an object/entity participating on more than one independent
workflow, although I never faced this situation.

But sub-workflows... Maybe I'm wrong, but I see them as a mere grouping of
states/transitions from a big workflow according to some criteria - in other words,
sub-workflows would happen "inside" generic "super-states" (Am I right here?? Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'd like to see a real example where sub-workflows are really needed. Otherwise we'll
be introducing unnecessary complexity to this issue.

--
Renato
Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil