[Zope-PTK] hats off

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:15:50 -0600

Paul Everitt wrote:

> Timothy Wilson wrote:
> > I've been thinking of creating something to diplay current weather
> > conditions for a given zip code. Is that the kind of think you're talking
> > about?
>
> That's one way!  I was speaking more about sample content, meaning a
> working portal.
>
> I don't suppose someone will host and administer a PTK site where we
> could all put example content?
>
> Come to think of it, here's another app someone could finish and host:
> searchable archive of the mailing lists.  We whipped one up as the demo
> content for the CD-ROM we gave out.  If someone is interested, let me
> know.

I have Mailbag product which is partway along -- I have been refactoring it to
use Python base classes, with ZClasses layered on top to plug them into Zope.
The Python is "Zope agnostic": it just uses the 'rfc822' and 'mailbox' modules
to parse messages and mailboxes.  I went this route to make it possible to run
unit tests at the command line, which I see as an important element of a robust
design (the "power-on self test" kind of thing.)  This bit is mostly done.

I haven't looked yet at the demo CD -- perhaps my stuff is redundant.  Anyway, I
can't host it under the PTK until CodeIt upgrades their Zopes to 2.1.x (and I'd
have to buy more space from them, no doubt). ;)  Somebody needs to work on a
program, using ZClient and callable from procmail, to invoke the
manage_addMessage on the appropriate folder when mail comes in, too.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com