[Zope-PTK] Membership separate from Portal?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:20:25 -0500

Hi,

    In some ways, the idea that everything needs to be contained in the
Portal object in order to use those features seems inconvenient. Some of the
portal pieces seem like things that should be usable throughout a Zope
database...

    Like Membership, for example. Will the membership features (and the new
LoginManager things) be strictly a part of the Portal? It seems like
LoginManager could be a useful new component for Zope itself...

    In truth, I don't think there's a reason why I can't just move
everything into the Portal object. It just seems a little odd to have to do
that, though...

    (It also seems like people might want to be able to use News Items and
Document objects without necessarily having a number of the other Portal
features...)

Kevin