[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:59:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timothy Wilson" <wilson@visi.com>
To: <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 2:38 PM
Subject: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

> I would like the PTK-based news product to be more Slashdot-like.

Butch has a number of interesting thoughts for Squishdot in a PTK-world. I
think he's talked about some on this list.

> To make our site truly awesome, we'd also need:
>
> * the ability to assign certain reviewers to certain categories
> * potentially, (although this could be handled by reviewers) the ability
> to restrict users to posting in certain categories.
>
> At this point, and I'm stretching my Zope Zen a bit at this point, I've
> been planning to subclass the PTK-News class to provide the extra
> category stuff. Is this a reasonable approach? At the same time, I think
> that there would be others who would be interested in news categories for
> portals that lack the singular focus of Zope.org.

I'm definitely interested in categories. Actually, I wonder what happened to
the original Topics idea that Amos had started up.

I think having some notion of categories at the heart of the PTK makes
sense. It may be possible to implement a categorization system by making a
Folder and role for each category and then setting access appropriately.
Maybe that's even the "right" way to do it, because you get the full
flexibility of the Zope security machinery, and you can still use Catalog to
give global views of the information.

Kevin