[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Chip Vanek chip@upcast.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:59:01 -0800

Hi,

I too am very interested in categories.  When you talk about
subclassing the News object below and using folder do you
mean that the object would be stored in this folder?

The present PTK keeps all objects in the authors members folder or
children.  I do not know if this is by design or just present
convenience.  It does seem to simplify security and the review/
publishing mechaism seems to allow for managed publishing.

I am new to Zope and cannot yet figure out how to create an
object in another folder and set the correct permissions. I was
able to subclass the portal document object and add category
fields (properties).  I am now struggling with trying to enter
this category property in the Catalog as a Keyword Field.

Then to simulated category lookup I would like to create
a search query that returns just items of a certain category.
It looks like the PTK wrapper around Zcatalog will ensure that
only authenticated users can see non-public items.  The big problem
I have now is finding the syntax for getCatalog().searchResults(....)
to give me just the items with the keyWorks I want.

To automate the management and generation of the KeyWords, I was
going to use a "tree" of folders that have titles that match the
KeyWords.  Then, using acquisition one query method would parse
the branches of the tree up to root and have the KeyWords.  The
"tree" of keywords would be a hierarchical oncology of topics
hosted by this site.  Adding a new topic is just adding a new
folder to the tree.  Then a compact version of this tree needs to
be available to the user in the add and edit forms of the object
to ensure that correct KeyWords are used.

This is likely a ugly hack of an approach but, it fits in my feeble
mind and I can see the steps to complete it if I start getting
some help from the list ;).

Best,

Chip