[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:33:59 +0100

At 9:07 Uhr -0500 16.02.2000, Paul Everitt wrote:
>Chip Vanek wrote:
>  > I too am very interested in categories.  When you talk about
>  > subclassing the News object below and using folder do you
>  > mean that the object would be stored in this folder?
>
>Long thread...sorry for the delay in replying.
>
>  > The present PTK keeps all objects in the authors members folder or
>  > children.  I do not know if this is by design or just present
>  > convenience.  It does seem to simplify security and the review/
>  > publishing mechaism seems to allow for managed publishing.
>
>Just like Zope.org, content can be anywhere.  But giving people a
>"me-centric" view of their content is powerful.

I think this depends... for content like that on Zope.org, that's
perfect. But if you think of some sort of news system, than providing
an article is more of "submitting" it to the editor of the paper. I
think this is important that the user does not have every control of
the article as publishing rights get handed over to the paper... and
if the content "moves" out of the users folder when it is sent to
review, that's a sign of that legal event.

>I don't buy the argument that putting stuff close to people breaks
>URLs.  Take a look on the web at all the ~username URLs you see out
>there.  Moreover, deleting a member doesn't delete their content, just
>like deleting someone on a Linux system doesn't delete all their files.

I guess it would be possible to find means to secure this... ID's
need not be editable after all...

On the other hand, when using search engines or link lists, you know
how much content on the Internet changes. The people on this list
might be aware of those problems, but most users we will deal with in
the Portals defenitely are not!

Jochen