[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:20:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Everitt" <paul@digicool.com>
To: "Jochen Haeberle" <listen@MIDRAS.de>
Cc: <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

> There is no reason to think that putting content in a central place will
> magically solve all problems regarding change.

This is certainly true.

> I'm still confused as to what is the problem here.  What does the PTK
> not do that it should?  It lets you put the same kind of content in
> central folders, with the same policies, as in member folders.  Should
> it do something different when content goes in a central folder?

I don't think that this thread is saying that the PTK is missing anything.
The PTK provides useful facilities, regardless of whether one chooses to
store things centrally or in individual member folders. Your point is valid
that you can set permissions such that it does not matter where things
reside. And, the flexibility remains so that if it makes more sense to store
objects in some central location, that is an option as well!

In fact, since KM|Net News uses the Catalog as it is, I could certainly make
it support both modes of operation: central storage and member folder
storage...

In my opinion, Keep On Truckin', Mike. I think you guys at DC are doing the
right things, and we're going to see a variety of cool PTK add-ons not long
after PTK is released. Not because the PTK is lacking in anything, but
because it's a good framework and people have found new ways to implement
their applications.

Kevin