[Zope-PTK] Impressions from first steps...

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:19:58 +0100

Hi Mike,

as you asked for comments/reports, I went through the process of
adding a portal again, taking notes:

-We talked about problems when addind the "first portal manager"
before and you are right, it is not a good idea to name it like the
site superuser! As it will probably not be very often one is adding a
portal object, I guess it would be a good idea to place a sentance
about that fact on the wizard page (otherwise I will likely stumble
over it again and again :)

- The Wizard should ask for the eMail-Adress of the first portal
manager, as otherwise errors occur when he tries to access his
Preferences (and probably other areas). At the moment you must go to
the manage interface to add his eMail.

- After the Portal is successfully added, you will be shown two
links, one to the portal, one to the management interface. Although
is very minor, you should probably add a target="_top" so there are
not two side-frames.

I followed your advice to setup a virtual host to get rid of the
problems when logged in as superuser. I followed the HowTo by anser
"Using Apache with ZServer (NOT Zope.cgi)" closely and setup
ProxyPass along with a SiteAccess SiteRoot inside the portal. This
seems to work fine as you suggested until it get's to review
submitted items.
The link to the reviewable item (and probably all others) is an
absolute URL http://Port/Members/joh/News. Port is the ID of my
Portal object. I am not sure if this is because of using SiteAccess
or if it's a bug, yet. But it's a nasty one. (Unfortunately there's
even a host probably www.Port.com, I got an error from their site...
would like to know what they think from their logs... :)

Hope this is useful information for you - please keep up the good work!

Jochen