[Zope-PTK] DISCUSS: Changing template construction

Petru Paler ppetru@coltronix.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:49:20 +0200

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 10:37:19AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

[snip template example]

> Thus, Jeffrey introduced a new tag that grabbed a renderer and passed
> in the block as contents.

  Yup, that's great. It's even better than the old trick some people use
(<dtml-var standard_html_header>, <dtml-var content>, <dtml-var standard_html_footer> then manage "content").

> Difference number one: you don't have two things (header and footer)
> to manage. Difference two: the combined header and footer are valid
> HTML!!! Making the look of a site much easier to manage in tools like
> Dreamweaver.
>
> With Michel's old "multi-format document" and the "PTK Document",
> Jeffrey's idea gets even easier. You don't wrap the content in a tag,
> you just indicate in another part of the interface the location of the
> rendering template.  This makes the document just:
>
>   <h2>My Stuff</h2>
>
> ...which is the PTK way of doing contents.
>
> I wonder if this should be the PTK way of doing things?  OTOH, with PTK
> Document, few people will know about the template that is rendering the
> site.
>
> Thoughts?

Go for it :)

-Petru