[Zope-PTK] Comments on the new docs... :)

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:21:32 -0700

Mike Pelletier wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Bill Anderson wrote:
>
> > Care to make it soemthing other than Subject? Subject seems to be
> > something that individual products may very well want to have. For
> > example a mail item woudl defintiely want to have Subject available, as
> > would custome nes items and announcements (eg. I am working on an
> > announcement object that also posts to a specified newsgroup, where I
> > would definitely need to have Subject). Perhaps "keywords" or something
> > like that?
>
>     It's called Subject because a goal of the PTK is to have all it's
> objects conform to the Dublin Core, in as much as is useful.  You still
> have 'subject' (distinct from 'Subject') available to you.  It would also
> seem reasonable in this case for the Subject method of a discussion item
> to return the discussion subject as it's 0th element.  I suppose what I'm
> saying is, it's okay for products to use these Dublic Core names.  In
> fact, it's encouraged, as long as they are publishing the same general
> metadata in the same format.

Ok, I guess my biggest concern is that subclassing from the base classes
would cause problems with making my own method/variable of the same
name. Like how subclassing CatalogAware means I can't define a 'summary'
field.

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.