[Zope-PTK] Preferences problem

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:17:39 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Jochen Haeberle wrote:

> I think the best would be that the http_authenticated user would have
> no effect to the portal authorized users...

    I disagree, I think this would be a Bad Thing, potentially a VERY bad
thing.  It would affect both the portal interface and the Zope management
interface.  I do agree that the caveats need to be make more visible in
the Wizard's finish page.

> Is there no way to separate portal users from Zope users? I guess
> this would greatly help to solve the problems and get a better
> understanding of what happens for content-manager-type portal admins.

    Can you elabotate in the idea of separation?

> I find it very disturbing at the moment and have problems switching
> back and forth portal and management interface the only solution was
> to use virtual hosting so the http-authentication is different.

    Not at all-- The account you set up when you create the portal has
full management rights and can use the Zope management interface without
resorting to playing tricks with the hostname.  It is more difficult if
you want to manage other portions of your site at the same time, depending
on your browser.  IE5 seems to do a better job of not sharing
authentiction information between sessions if the sessions are launched
separately.  (That is, don't clone the window with ^N.)

    To be honest, I am reluctant to load the PTK up with authentication
hacks to solve a deficiency of some browsers.

> I think it is not very zopic at the moment. the portal should in some
> way acquire the users from above, mostly the superuser

    The PTK _is_ acquiring users from above.  That's essentially where
this problem comes from-- a non-PTK user is being accquired.  I think
I'm not understanding you completely.  Feel free to try again.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228