[Zope-PTK] Another use case for reviewing

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:54:08 -0500 (EST)

    These are interesting thoughts.  I was considering something much like
this.  It would be nice if users could make changes to objects which
didn't appear publicly until they had been approved by a reviewer.  This
should include changes that affect the URL, as well as content
changes.  The obvious way was to have changes of a published object happen
in a Version.  As long as the PortalCatalog can be made smart enough not
to change under Versions this should be doable.

    This is something I'm considering for 1.0, but not really for the
first release this week.  I want to keep this option open.  Can anyone see
any potential trouble while having a few dozen Versions open?  The UI
issues are pretty straightforward, I'm more concerned about objects
(and the catalog) locking themselves inconveniently.  The catalog should
obviously refuse to update itself if it's in a Version.  If anyone knows
any other potential problems, please speak up.

    This thread also touched on collaboration.  The nature of the web
makes this difficult (perhaps impossible) to get right.  I don't see that
this is a design consideration we can realistically entertain.  The best
I feel we could manage would be to prevent concurrent editing.

    Lastly, Jochen brought up concerns that Reviewer powers are too
all-encompasing.  It is possible to designate a person a Reviewer over the
entire site, or any sub-set of the site that you desire, right down to an
individual object, or a collection of individually selected objects.  The
standard Zope security model applies to Reviewers.  Look up 'local roles'
for more information.

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228