[Zope-PTK] Packaging/Installation question

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:58:14 -0600

Kevin Dangoor wrote:

>     While I believe wholeheartedly that having the PTK available in pieces
> *and* in a simple, all inclusive package, I think we should be sure there is
> an easy way to install it. The separate Membership component is a good
> example. It's easy enough to create one tarball that includes all of the PTK
> stuff, but the site manager has to do two separate imports (one for
> DemoPortal.zexp and one for MembershipZ.zexp).
>
>     Lots of ideas have been tossed about for making simpler installs. Of
> course, some of those ideas were rather complex and would take some effort
> to implement. Personally, I don't care that much about automatic downloads
> or updates or any of that. But, making it so that the product and its
> updates can be installed just by untarring it would be a very nice thing.
> (And, as more ZClass-based products are released, this will ease the
> situation for all of them)
>
> Thoughts?

Sure, all the time ;)

As far as the install goes, I've been kicking around the idea of a
python program that untars the file in the appropriate place, and if
told to, will import .zexp files into the appropriate place. Honestly
though, it's been a back-burner idea for a while now (so many toys, so
little time!). I was considering a simple, perhaps XML-based, config
file, which would be parsed by the python script, learning what zexp
files went where, etc., then impotting them through , say XML-RPC or
ZClient. Security-wise for that, I figured it could (hypothetically) use
the access file for authenticating itsself somehow.

I don't think too many people would be up for automated downloads and
installs either. Quite a bit of heavy security issues to think about
there.

Bill