[Zope-PTK] Packaging/Installation question

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:17:11 -0400

Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>     Lots of ideas have been tossed about for making simpler installs. Of
> course, some of those ideas were rather complex and would take some effort
> to implement. Personally, I don't care that much about automatic downloads
> or updates or any of that. But, making it so that the product and its
> updates can be installed just by untarring it would be a very nice thing.
> (And, as more ZClass-based products are released, this will ease the
> situation for all of them)
>
> Thoughts?

If you use the "distribution" tab, you can create a tarball of
ZClasses.  Enable the "configurable" option for everything.  If you're
curious, you can see how this works in App/Product.py.  Basically,
"product.dat" is a .zexp file.

The only issue is that the "distribution" tab is not made available to
the end user, so it's not easy to make changes and re-distribute.  OTOH
some people might say that's a good thing.

Shane