[Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:23:35 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
To: "Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

> Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> > It *is* generically usable, but I think it needs its tires kicked a
little
> > more and some more UI stuff added before it should become a part of
Zope.
> > When you can trivially use it in place of a UserFolder, then it should
> > probably replace UserFolder, IMHO.
>
> Hmm, the quickest way to do this would be to put it in Zope as the only
> way of doing Login type stuff, that doesn't mean it's the best ;-)

The problem is that with LM by itself, you can't just add a user like you
can with a UserFolder. So, if UserFolder was replaced by LM now, people
could download and install Zope, but they wouldn't be able to add any
objects until they figure out how to add a user to the LoginManager (because
objects can't be owned by the superuser in 2.2).

I guess it could be like a rite of passage... "Hey, I just managed to add a
user, and now I can add DTML Methods!" :)

> > Membership is basically the result of me pulling the UI methods out of
PTK
> > for Membership. So, you can do membership sorts of things without the
rest
> > of PTK. (It basically just sets up a LoginManager with a functional
> > UserSource and the UI stuff.)
>
> Really showing my ignorance, by what are the 'membership things' you
> mention?

The forms for joining, emailing forgotten passwords, changing passwords,
etc. There should be some UI routines for managing users, but those don't
exist yet. Those forms used to be in DemoPortal, but it seemed like
functionality that people would probably really like to have, even if they
don't need to set up a whole PTK-style Portal.

Kevin