[Zope-PTK] Flexible object placement

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:07:15 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

>     It seems to me that for certain types of objects it may be nice for the
> site administrator to choose where they want the objects placed.

 [snip]

>     One can argue that the Catalog makes it so that it does not really
> matter where the object is stored.

    At least, from the PTK's point of view, it doesn't matter.  I agree
that there may well be other points of view from which it _does_
matter.  So, I am all for designing PTK discussions such that they don't
care where the live, and allow the administrator to make (or not
make) the decision of where to put them in policy.

> However, I think it does matter somewhat, because Zope does not have a
> property type that is a reference to another object.

    There is a way.  ZCatalog results contain a kind of a reference to a
Zope object: it's path.  This is a touch cheesy since it's often
surprisingly difficult to transform a path into an object, but it works.

    It's also quite possible to stuff a Zope object in an attribute of
another object.  I've shied away from doing this because I'm not at all
certain what the ramifications would be.

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228