[Zope-PTK] Re: [Zope] PTK issues

Nolan Darilek nolan_d@bigfoot.com
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 00:16:53 -0600

This was originally posted to zope@zope.org, but I'll post my question
here since it's more relevant.

    >> Second, the main index_html includes the following:
    >>
    >> 5 Jan - Space for a NewsItem.
    >>
    >> So, am I supposed to edit that each time a new, newsworthy item
    >> is created by a member? I thought that, by approving news
    >> items, they would be displayed on the main page, or is this
    >> only on the "Breaking News" link?

    Bill> You can do like I do, and return the results of a ZCatalog
    Bill> search.  Or you can do it the old fashioned way ;)

Anyone have an example of how I might do this?

Also, I have another question. If anyone could point me to any basic
DTML-coding tutorials (if any exist) I'd be helped greatly, since I'm
not afraid of R'ing TFM, so to speak. :) My site is similar, in a
sense, to zope.org. What I'd like to do is to grant users personal
workspaces under members/, in which they can edit news items, etc. I'd
also like to create projects/, which hold pages similar to those under
members/, but which allow any number of users to edit them. It's
basically a sourceforge-ish setup in that I can register a project and
receive a folder beneath projects/. From there, I can then grant write
privilages to any number of existing users. How difficult might
something like this be to implement?

One final implementation question. Is it possible to plug pre-existing
products into a PTK site? What I mean is, could I plug any of the
existing chat/web discussion products into a portal and allow it to
use the user's login name and such, instead of prompting for a
separate login? I'm interested in using the PTK as a means of enabling
certain services for some, while serving as a means of content
management for others. In other words, when someone logs in, I'd like
for links to discussion boards and chat areas to appear, and I'd also
like for them to have access to their folder beneath members/, uniting
the authentification processes for both mechanisms into the single
portal login. Is implementation of this difficult, or is it a given?

Thanks.